2.14.2008

In My Solitude

"Solitude is the state of being alone without being lonely. It is a positive and constructive state of engagement with oneself. Solitude is desirable, a state of being alone where you provide yourself wonderful and sufficient company."


I wasn't going to even post anything today. Just let Valentine's Day pass without a word. It's not like I sent out flowers, candy or any other type of gifts today. Really was happy with that decision. All day people asking me if I had any special plans for tonight and who was the lucky lady. Nah, this year I am playing it solo. It is better to not have one than to be with someone that you aren't serious about, right? I could have called a couple of people out of my black book and made plans to go out but that would have been wack. Sitting across from someone pretending to be interested in their stories and feelings. So here I am alone at home, watching the NAACP Image Awards and working on my blog.

"Solitude is a time that can be used for reflection, inner searching or growth or enjoyment of some kind. Deep reading requires solitude, so does experiencing the beauty of nature. Thinking and creativity usually do too."


One thing that today has taught me is that I don't just want to be in a relationship but I'm searching for real love. The type of love that will make you feel strong, appreciated and secure. Not saying that you have to be in love to feel those things but knowing that a woman loves you for who you are and not who she hoped you would be makes it a whole lot easier. Don't get me wrong I'm not a sucker for love. It will take a special woman to make me show my vulnerable side again. The wall that I've put up is pretty thick. Most of the women I date probably think that I'm real cold-hearted but nothing could be further from the truth. Just trying to survive with my heart in tact. So that's why I'm not mad about being alone on Valentine's Day. Today has been all about loving me. Happy Valentine's Day.

"Solitude suggests peacefulness stemming from a state of inner richness. It is a means of enjoying the quiet and whatever it brings that is satisfying and from which we draw sustenance. It is something we cultivate. Solitude is refreshing; an opportunity to renew ourselves. In other words, it replenishes us."

5 comments:

dejanae said...

"Solitude suggests peacefulness stemming from a state of inner richness. It is a means of enjoying the quiet and whatever it brings that is satisfying and from which we draw sustenance. It is something we cultivate. Solitude is refreshing; an opportunity to renew ourselves. In other words, it replenishes us."

AMEN
But i still want some chocolates
we aint gotta get married or nothing
just send me some coconut filled chocolates and we good
ur gangsta teddy bear is on the way

Gemini Girl aka GG said...

solitude is important..gives you time to listen and really focus on the thing you want out of life... I want a secure type of love also..unconditional...

Jazzy said...

You seem like such an easy going, go with the flow kind of dude. Why do you have a wall up?

Anonymous said...

Good post. Good insight.

I had a similar type of day as well. Reflecting and doing everything I wanted to do in solitude. I was smiling all day...unlike last year when I spent it with someone. It felt FANTASTIC.

I think it's important for one to be comfortable in their solitude. Most people aren't.

I don't know you outside of what you've written here. But I can spot a cold hearted snake from a mile away. Not you.

Ny-Robi said...

I feel you on the solitude thing...I would have rather been by myself than receiving gifts out of obligation or habit.