As my birthday quickly approaches, I find myself thinking more and more about my childhood and what type of man I thought I would be when I reached this age. I’ll be 38 on June 16th. This is definitely not the life I expected when I was walking across that stage twenty years ago to pick up my high school diploma. Wow! Twenty years is a long time but for me it has taken that long to grow from a boy to a man. Yeah, I thought I was a man when I was twenty-five and living carefree. I thought I was a man when I was married at twenty-eight. Realized that I wasn’t the man I thought I was when I was thirty-five and divorced. I’ve been blessed with a wonderful life so far. The hardships that I have gone through are nothing compared to many folks. Some that are reading this blog. Looking back, I am proud of how much I’ve changed.
Top five things I thought I would be doing now when I was eighteen:
1. Retired from the NBA and starting my own financial services company
2. Dating either Sheila E., Janet Jackson or whatever singer is hot at the time
3. Own a big house on the lake in Seattle
4. Attending the college graduation of all of my younger cousins
5. Mentoring young men to achieve their dreams
Questions of the day:
How does your life differ from when you dreamed as a youngster?
Do you think you’ll still achieve those dreams?
Top five gifts I want for my birthday:
1. Spending a long weekend with CL in a nice hotel
2. A new suit, shirt, tie and pair of dress shoes
3. The last two seasons of The Wire on DVD