What's up fam! This is that time of year that everybody comes up with their list of music, movies, books or current events that stood out from the crowd this year. I didn't have the patience to give you a list for all of these categories but I wanted to do something. I decided to go with that most important category and give you the songs that moved me in 2007. I'm sure some will disagree with my selections but that is why it is MY list. Get your own!
1. Flashing Lights - Kanye West - Even though I can't say I loved his entire CD, Kanye continued to drop jewels and show that he is the most creative force in music right now.
2. International Player's Anthem - UGK feat. Outkast - Andre delivers the best verse in the last five years on this joint. Bryan Barber also put his foot in a very hot video.
3. Hot Thing (Remix) - Talib Kweli feat. Ne-Yo & Jean Grae - I was in love with the original but this remix took it over the top for me. If real hip hop got props, Talib & Jean Grae would be huge stars.
4. Misunderstood - Common - I love how Common has taken his game to a more mature level. Kanye freaks the Nina sample too.
5. Pretty Girl - Eric Roberson - My favorite soul artist teamed up with the late great J. Dilla to create a song that should have been getting major radio play.
6. Party Life - Jay Z - This song was my favorite when I first listened to the American Gangster CD. I'm not saying its a great verse but you can't deny the man's swagger on this song.
7. The Art of Storytellin' Pt. 4 - DJ Drama feat. Outkast - Once again, Andre delivers a tight verse that is actually saying something. I wish more emcees would take heed. Please don't sleep on Big Boi though. Although living in the lyrical shadow of his partner in rhyme, Daddy Fat Sacks is doing his thing..he ripped it on #2 as well.
8. Can't Tell Me Nothing - Kanye West - This was the summer anthem for me. It bounced in the car and the club. Plus I love how he put Jeezy down for the remix.
9. Bed - J. Holiday - The best r&b song of the year. I hear y'all Beyonce & Rhianna fans now but I'm a guy and from my perspective this was the song that dudes could rep.
10. Sensual Seduction - Snoop Dogg - It was a late entry but Long Beach's finest put his foot in this joint. If it has come out earlier in the year it would be closer to the top of my list. The old-school When Doves Cry video was just a bonus.
Bonus: My Love - Jill Scott - Jilly from Philly came back with a hot CD that featured some very sexy lyrics. Most folks would have put Crown Royal or Hate On Me on this list but the pure honesty of this song right here had me hooked from the first listen.